People have been pointing out for months that it is probably a good idea for 2016 hopeful Bernie Sanders to have Secret Service protection, given the violent proclivities of the Right and their strong stance against their idea of what socialism is, their belief that Sanders is a Communist (largely because they don’t understand that, either), and the likelihood that the rhetoric of conservative media will inspire an armed and insane True Believer to act against him.
According to Fox News’ Ed Henry, Bernie will soon be receiving protection against right-wing Crazies:
Breaking: @SenSanders getting Secret Service protection
— Ed Henry (@edhenry) January 30, 2016
Federal law authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to issue Secret Service protection for Presidential candidates and their spouses. According to the Secret Service website, in order to qualify as a candidate and qualify for protection, an individual must:
- Be publicly announced
- Have some degree of prominence as shown by opinion polls
- Be actively campaigning and entered in at least 10 state primaries
- Be seeking the nomination of a qualified party
- Have qualified for matching funds in the amount of at least $100,000
- Have received contributions totaling $10 million
Bernie publicly announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination last June, is #1 in multiple polls, and has received a record-breaking 3,022,945 individual contributions, totaling at least $75 million.